Helping to make Carnival Safer for Spicemas 2019
The Royal Grenada Police Force (RGPF) wishes all citizens and visitors alike a safe, happy and enjoyable Spicemas 2019 Carnival Season; and affirms its commitment to ensuring the safety of all during this festive season.
Consequently, the RGPF is seeking the collaboration of the general public to realize this national goal and persons are encouraged to take every precaution to ensure that their own safety and the well-being of others are not compromised.
Consistent with this approach the RGPF advises the following:
Avoid unpleasant situations:
• Drink responsibly – balance the consumption of alcohol and other intoxicating liquor with water;
• Be wary of accepting drinks from others, even people you know; know who you are purchasing food from.
• Be constantly aware of the people around you;
• Be observant when returning home at night; avoid accepting lifts from strangers or leaving shows/fetes with strangers or someone you just met; avoid hitchhikers.
• If traveling as a group in a private vehicle have a designated driver; ensure that you carry sufficient funds to return home, in the event that you are unable to do so via your designated driver.
Do not put your life or the life of others in danger:
• Exercise restraint in the face of provocation;
• Leave all offensive weapons at home – the knives, cutlasses, icepicks, ray bones, et cetera and any other thing made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended for that use.
• Secure licensed firearms, preferably at home or lodge at the nearest police station.
Avoid being a victim of theft:
• Carry just the bare necessities, avoid large sums of cash,
• Avoid wearing excessive jewelry; duly secure wallets, purses and mobile phones.
• Ensure homes and vehicles are properly locked and secured.
• Do not drive while under the influence of alcohol/drugs;
• Drive to the conditions of the road – do not speed;
• Refrain from committing regulatory breaches by obeying the traffic signs and officers directing traffic.
• Do not sit atop DJ speaker boxes and the hood of vehicles as well as the side/ back trays.
Safety of Children and Elderly:
• Ensure children and the elderly left at home are properly supervised;
• Do not leave flammable liquid, medication and matches within reach of children;
• Keep children in sight/close contact when outdoors; teach your child/children about the danger posed by strangers.
• Selling or carrying of alcohol or other beverages in glass bottles in public places are prohibited and the sale of alcohol to minors is against the law.
• It is also against the law to have open flames in public places.
• Carrying or using the national flag or symbols of Grenada or any other country in a derogatory manner is prohibited.
• Refrain from portraying or wearing any costume in a manner likely to cause any ridicule or disrespect to any religion practiced in Grenada.
• Refrain from carrying or displaying any lewd or offensive signs, posters, placards or designs
• The use of aerosol spray; chain saws with or without blades; cow neck chains and reptiles – snakes, serpents, whether alive or dead are prohibited.
The RGPF is intensifying its operations to ensure public safety and security and will be implementing a zero tolerance approach to persons who are bent on breaking the law. This is necessary to ensure that Spicemas 2019 revelers, other citizens and visitors enjoy the festivities in an unencumbered and safe environment.